RS Components and Allied Electronics, the trading brands of Britain-based Electrocomponents plc, are inviting general orders for Red Pitaya, the pioneering single-board, open instrumentation and control platform that replaces many expensive laboratory and field instruments at a fraction of the price—less than $500.
Customers around the world who previously registered their interest on the Red Pitaya website were given the opportunity to place a priority order with RS and Allied, which guarantees them delivery of a Red Pitaya board from the first limited production run this month. All other orders will be fulfilled in strict rotation by RS and Allied on a first-come first-served basis from the initial batch while stocks last, with lead times of up to 12 weeks for the next commercial production, the companies said.
Red Pitaya is a test and measurement solution offering a unique, compact and low-cost ecosystem approach. It combines a Xilinx Zynq-based hardware platform with an open-source online repository of applications including a waveform generator, oscilloscope and spectrum analyser.
“Red Pitaya has sparked a considerable amount of excitement among engineers in the test and measurement sector,” said Philip Dock, global head of product & supplier management at RS. “No other instrumentation product on the market can offer such functionality and flexibility at a price that is affordable within even the smallest of budgets. We expect to see high demand for the product, so we are encouraging customers to place orders early to secure the fastest delivery.”
“When we launched the Red Pitaya project our vision was to enable everyone to start using technologies that yesterday were available only to advanced research laboratories and industry. Today we are excited about the response from our users and about the creativity of ideas they are proposing. This is the real power of Red Pitaya,” said Borut Baričevič, Red Pitaya Co-founder and Product Manager.
For more information on Red Pitaya, visit www.rs-online.com/redpitaya.
In other industry news:
- TTI, Inc. received the following award during the Electronics Distribution Show, held earlier this month in Las Vegas: Distributor of the Year from KEMET Corp.; Channel Partner Award from MuRata; Passive Distributor of the Year from Vishay; Distributor of the Year from Eaton; and the Chairman’s Award for Sales Excellence from Ohmite.
- TTI also announced that it will distribute Honeywell’s Sensing and Control Magnetoresistive Sensor ICs Nanopower Series.
- Mouser Electronics’ Tom Bila, director, supplier management for interconnect products, received the Molex MVP Award for 2013. The major interconnect manufacturer named Mouser as its 2013 Global e‑Catalog Distributor of the Year earlier this year. The awards recognize the Mouser team for achieving outstanding financial growth in Internet‑based e‑catalog sales, as well as attaining significant customer growth for Molex worldwide.
- Mouser also signed a global distribution agreement to distribute Grayhill Inc.’s line of human interface products and solutions.
- Avnet Electronics Marketing is now distributing Samsung Electro-Mechanics’ line of linear resonance actuators (LRAs), vibration motors that provide a tactile (haptic) sensation when a user interacts with a touchscreen.
- Sager Electronics was named 2013 Distributor of the Year award for outstanding performance and growth over the course of the business year by CHERRY, a registered brand of ZF Friedrichshafen AG. Sager was also named NMB Technologies’ 2013 Distributor of the Year for outstanding growth, and also was honored by Ohmite as one of three Sales Excellence branches in Ohmite’s authorized distribution network.
And don’t miss these upcoming industry events:
Mixed Model Line Design Workshop
Toyota Material Handling USA National Customer Center
ISM Risk Management Summit
July 16, 2014
New York Marriott Downtown
New York City, New York
2014 ECIA Executive Conference
October 26-28, 2014
We want to hear from you. Send your news to [email protected].